When you are pregnant, either you will have a heightened sex drive or sex is the last thing on your mind. There is no in between. But when you are looking for ways to spice up your sex life, you are also pondering if it is safe to have sex during pregnancy.
Let’s clear that doubt for you!
It’s perfectly safe to have sex during pregnancy unless your doctor has advised you not to. Neither does penetration hurt you nor cause a miscarriage. On the contrary, you may become extra wet and get orgasms easily due to the increased blood flow and hormones.
When to avoid sex in pregnancy?
- When you are at a risk for miscarriage or have had pregnancy loss.
- When you are expecting twins.
- Last few weeks of pregnancy; unless you are overdue and want to induce labor. believing that sex can stimulate contractions.
- After your water breaks (even if you are not sure)
- You’re having vaginal bleeding, discharge, or cramping without a known cause
This no sex clause is inclusive of masturbation too. You can always check with your doctor.
Sex positions when pregnant
Finding a comfortable position could become cumbersome with the tender breasts and growing belly. Ditch the machinery and experiment positions that are comfortable for you and your partner. Try being on top, lying sideways, spooning, from behind (doggy) or seated. There is no mandate you know. Avoid machinery or prone position (lying on your stomach). Also, as noted by every doctor and pregnancy book you’ll ever read, don’t blow air up there.
Inform your doctor if you have any unusual symptoms after sex like pain, shortness of breath, discharge, bleeding,etc.
Tips to make it better for you when pregnant:
- Use pillows to make yourself comfortable. You can even use the pregnancy pillow you invested in.
- Using lube when needed
- Protected sex is still advisable to prevent infections.
Is it normal for sex to hurt during Pregnancy?
Sex should never hurt. Your breasts, nipple and clitoris could be extra sensitive due to the increased blood flow. Sex shouldn’t feel like an endurance sport. You do not have to go wild if it is painful. Talk to your partner and work out what is best for you both.
Now that you know, it is absolutely fine to have sex during pregnancy, you can go ahead and experiment the 50 shades of pregnancy with your partner!